BUSINESS ENGLISH - TELEPHONE
Useful telephone vocabulary and phrases in English
Giving negative information
- I'm afraid the line's engaged. Could you call back later?
- I'm afraid he's in a meeting at the moment
- I'm sorry. He's out of the office today / He isn't in at the moment.
- I'm afraid we don't have a Mr/Mrs/Miss ... here
- I'm sorry. There's nobody here by that name.
- Sorry. I think you've dialed the wrong number.
- Sorry. I'm afraid you've got the wrong number.
- The line is very bad. Could you speak up please?
- Could you repeat that please?
- I'm afraid I can't hear you.
- Sorry. I didn't catch that. Could you say that again please?
Leaving/taking a message
- Can I leave/take a message?
- Would you like to leave a message?
- Could you give him/her a message?
- Could you ask him/her to call me back?
- Would you like him/her to call you back?
- Could you tell him/her that I called?
- Could you give me your name please?
- Could you spell that please?
- What's your number please?